"Devon’s best kept secret... Just inland from some of Devon’s loveliest and most natural beaches lies the village of Tuckenhay set along Bow Creek on the River Dart...."
In a setting of stunning natural beauty, Tuckenhay Mill is the centrepiece of a cluster of country homes and cottages with superb leisure facilities including two indoor and one outdoor pools, making it ideal for a family holiday for all ages.
The Mill which once produced some of the finest paper in the land, nestles in the green and shady Bow Creek, a languid inlet of the River Dart where private yachts have replaced the old tall-masted ships and barges. Around the mill are all the buildings which once went to make up a small bustling village port. These listed buildings have been sympathetically restored and converted to a delightful range of holiday properties to suit larger family parties. Awards have been won for the conversion of buildings and the conservation of the area. With so much to do, many holidaymakers return year after year.
South Devon awaits you
Tuckenhay is only a 20-minute drive from the superb Blue Flag beach at Blackpool Sands and about 30 minutes from a surfing beach at Bantham, as well as some of the best natural beaches to be found anywhere in the UK.
There is also extensive access to the coastal footpath for walking and the wilderness that is Dartmoor for walking, climbing and riding.
This is a mecca for ramblers, bird-watchers, swimmers, surfers, horse riders, golfers and those interested in fishing, boating, sailing and windsurfing.
In addition, there are many historic NT houses to visit including Agatha Christies’s Greenway as well as a local vineyard (with award-winning wines) at Sharpham.
Tuckenhay is only 5 miles inland from Dartmouth and 3 from the market town of Totnes. Village shop 3½ miles. Riverside inn and restaurant within walking distance.
A superb choice of cottages
Each of the cottages has been individually styled to offer comfortable and spacious accommodation. Great care has been taken to retain the feel of the original buildings and extensive use has been made of traditional materials. Most have garden, terrace or patio. Individual cottage details are shown on the following pages.
Many cottages have more than one bathroom and some have an en-suite bathroom to every bedroom. Kitchens are comprehensively equipped: most have dishwashers and all have microwave cookers.
Couples and honeymooners will feel snug and comfortable in the small cottages: Mill Leat, Mill Stream and Mill Spring. Families can spread out in Papermaker’s or Turbine Cottages, while Mill Lodge, Edgecombe Barn and Tuckenhay Mill House will sleep larger parties in comfort. Of course, combinations of cottages can accommodate bigger gatherings of family or friends.
A very cosy and comfortable cottage, ideal for a small family. Set in an elevated position overlooking the grounds of Tuckenhay and the surrounding countryside. Accessed via a flight of 14 steps onto a balcony patio area to the front of the property. Open-plan living room with dining table and kitchen area. First floor: Double bedroom. Cosy single bedroom. Bathroom and toilet.
- Electricity, NSH, hot water, panel/convector heaters and use of swimming pools £90 per week or £50 for short breaks (£80 per week or £40 for short breaks until 2016)
- High chair
- Bed linen included
- High chairs and additional travel cots available by arrangement (one high chair, one cot in all cottages unless otherwise stated)
- Modern flatscreen TVs
- Wi-fi internet access (badminton/games hall)
- Shared payphone
- Shared use of grounds
- Shared barbecue area
- Ample parking for cars and boats
- Two pints of milk on arrival
- No smoking (cottages and all facilities)
- NB: Stream in mill grounds
- Laundry room with washing machine and tumble dryer by £1 slot meter
- Extensive indoor and outdoor sporting facilities including 60-ft outdoor swimming pool (8 am to 8 pm, 1 May to 1 October) and all-weather tennis court
- Superb indoor leisure complex with two heated swimming pools, Jacuzzis, saunas, steam rooms and drench shower (Roman Pool open daily 8.30 am to 8.30 pm – Wednesdays to 9 pm – for all ages, under adult supervision. Waterfall Pool open daily 8.30 am to 6.30 pm for adults and children over 10 accompanied by a swimming adult)
FACILITIES FOR SMALL CHILDREN:
- Outdoor - small children’s play areas with swings, climbing frames, slides, Wendy house and football field. Indoor - a huge play area with slides, puzzles, pool table, table football, snooker and table tennis
- Extra travel cots and high chairs provided
- Mother and baby changing facility with walk-in shower/wet room (indoor pool). Roman pool with shallow learning bay.
- One well-behaved dog is welcome in all cottages (except Mill Leat) (Dogs go free 2 November - 13 December).
THE TUCKENHAY POOLS
Tuckenhay is renowned for its spectacular award winning indoor pools with glass mosaics and hand-painted silk murals, they combine exotic decoration with the most modern dehumidification and purification equipment and full changing facilities.
This dramatic Roman style 32ft pool (4ft 6in deep) has a safe children’s bay reached by separate steps. Completing the experience are sauna and steam room (£1 by slot meter), a refreshing cool drench shower fed from the underground spring and a separate Jacuzzi with hydro jets.
Open daily from 8.30 am to 8.30 pm. Children must be supervised.
This award winning pool is sculptured in a curved shape over 40ft long (4ft 6in deep), and bounded in part by a natural grotto rock face of tumbling water. It incorporates the ultimate in water movement technology: floor and wall massage jets, water volcanoes, water cannons and swim jets. There are two Jacuzzis - one in the pool - sauna and steam room (£1 by slot meter) and hot and cold spring-fed showers.
Separate mother and baby changing facilities with walk-in shower/wet room. Open daily from 8.30 am to 6.30 pm. Adults and children over ten with a swimming adult.
The extra charge for use of pools and heating, detailed in the cottage descriptions is all inclusive in the final balance.
HEATED OUTDOOR POOL - with heated hot tub with sauna and drench shower
This 60ft pool (3ft - 6ft 6in deep) has landscaped riverside sunbathing terrace and sloping lawn to stream. Open daily 8am to 8pm (1 May–1 Oct). Children must be supervised.
LOTS MORE TO DO AT TUCKENHAY MILL
- Tennis court - a full sized all-weather court. Please bring your own racquets and balls: tennis shoes, not trainers, please
- Gymnasium - fully equipped with Polaris stations and Aerodyne bikes
- Badminton court - outdoor court. Please bring your own racquets and shuttlecocks
- Sports hall - with indoor badminton court and young children’s play area
- Snooker room - full-sized period table (experienced players only) with additional small snooker table and pool table
- Second snooker room (open between 9am and 4pm) - with ¾-sized slate table (experienced players only) with pool table and children’s mini-table. Note Papermaker’s Cottage and Turbine Cottage have their own table.
- Short mat bowls
- Croquet lawn
- Hot tub - with sauna on sunbathing deck (1 May to 20 September)
- 20 acres of grounds with almost 1 mile of pathways (for dog walking) through meadows, dells and woodland; barbecue area, children’s play area and picnic spots.
- Use of greens and 18-hole championship course (25% discount) at Dartmouth Golf and Country Club
IN SYMPATHY WITH THE ENVIRONMENT
Tuckenhay Mill has led the way with most of the pools being heated by ground source heat pumps. Awards have been given for energy saving as well as pool design and conversion of buildings. 2008 saw the extension of the
20 acres of stunning natural landscape opening up nearly a mile of footpaths through dells, meadows and woodlands along with a natural waterfall. This is the place to enjoy a personal ‘Spring or Autumn Watch’ with swallows in the log store, buzzards on the adjacent hillside, owls in the woods and ducks and swans down on Bow Creek. Strolls can be taken with the dog and picnics enjoyed on a bench by the river. Children can stroke the goats and even collect eggs for breakfast from the hens (when laying)!